Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough

Someone dedicated me a sad love song sung by Patti Smyth and Don Henley - Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough - it gave me many different volumes of emotions.  Mostly sadness that I felt.  And, I wondered why he gave me that song.  I have been listening to it for many days now.  Trying my best to understand the  underlying meaning of the lyrics and how it relates to me and my being in  a sentimental relationship with him.  It was not an easy discovery for me.  Because, I am not sure of his feelings toward me.  I tried to figure out the true meaning and I even search the nets to get some professional help...sigh.

I found that the most logical and realistic meaning would be that "sometimes love isn't enough"  mirror the relationship of two people where there have to be more than love for it to work out. I would say trust is equally or even more vital than love. There are other little things that a relationship need to make things work between them. All those little little things which do not cost you gold or diamonds.
Perhaps to some, having common interests and living individual lives could bring more happiness, or the timing and circumstances of a situation would bring happiness that can overcome love.   I pondered upon the lyrics for hours, while listening to the song.  It gave me such forlorn-ness.  The lyrics, as you can see below:

Now, I don't want to lose you,
but I don't want to use you,
just to have somebody by my side.

And I don't want to hate you,
I don't want to take you,
but I don't want to be the one to cry.

And that don't really matter to anyone anymore.
But like a fool I keep losing my place
and I keep seeing you walk through that door.
 
But there's a danger in loving somebody too much,
and it's sad when you know it's your heart you can't trust.
There's a reason why people don't stay where they are.
Baby, sometimes, love just ain't enough.

Now, I could never change you
I don't want to blame you.
Baby, you don't have to take the fall.

Yes, I may have hurt you,
but I did not desert you.
Maybe I just want to have it all.

It makes a sound like thunder
it makes me feel like rain.
And like a fool who will never see the truth,
I keep thinking somethings gonna change.
 
And there's no way home
when it's late at night and you're all alone.
Are there things that you wanted to say?
And do you feel me beside you in your bed,
there beside you, where I used to lay?

And there's a danger in loving somebody too much,
and it's sad when you know it's your heart they can't touch.
There's a reason why people don't stay who they are.
Baby, sometimes, love just ain't enough.

Baby, sometimes, love... it just ain't enough. Oh, Oh, Oh, No

are full of words of sadness about the feelings of two persons in love, perhaps, but something is not right between them of which we are not told about.  But, to apply these lyrics to my situation, whom I suspect that he is someone who has some sort of affection towards me but is yet to express it loudly.  Perhaps the feelings are mutual but one can never tell.  So much in certain measures of feelings but so unsure of the gravity of it to tell the whole wide world about it.  I am thinking that distance is a major factor contributing to this difficult connection.  I firmly believe that this is not a puppy love situation.

Why must I pay attention to this dedication of just a song, right?  That's the point, why must a man simply send just a song to a woman?  There is always a reason for anything that happens in this world.   There is always reason why we do some things or say something.  Either directly or through a medium.  A song is a medium for us to express our feelings and thoughts to the people out there.  We express our being and our feelings and what we have in our mind popularly through songs in this highly technological era.  

But, my guessing on the meaning of this song may not be correct in a sense that he may be telling me to let go and move on with my life.   Confusion in love is the easiest thing to happen.  But words alone to help ease the confusion may not work well when one deals with love.  It has got to be more than words.  That is why, there are many love songs that talk about more than words.  You just can hear about more than words everywhere all over the world.  In your world, in my world.

I still wonder, what and why he sent me the song.  What is the message he is trying to tell.  Whatever it is, I am already overwhelmed by sadness just by listening to the song.

8 comments:

  1. very sad song todah..hoing through a very tough break up and ive been seeking closure...found this song...its very sad ,but it gave me a new perspective..we love eah other..but it just didnt work out

    ReplyDelete
  2. But is there really a danger in loving somebody too much??..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes hunny you would only hurt yourself when it didn't work out.

      Delete
  3. I use to love this song when I was little girl. My father use to played this song. I was 6 year old or so. I didn't understand. But when I met a man who became my husband now, I show him this song. He didn't understand english, I explain it to him that love and marriage should be build more than just love. Respect,loyalty,blessing from both family and so on. It was 9 years ago. We've been marriage for more than 7 years. He cheated on me. He disrespect me in many ways. He never there for me. He never tried to build a family with me, and blame me for everything. I ask him for divorce. It really hurts me, I love him more than he knows. He ask me to come back, he knows I still love him. I have give him everything. There's nothing left even my dignity. So I finally sure what this song means...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had our relationship since 2009, we are happy..inlove with each other..and you're right, love isnt all the component that the relationship will work through..this 2019..she told me to find out what is meaning of the song..and because she tolds me that was dedicated to me..a big why?..a confusions arisement..just like a bomb that when the time is up..it will explodes..meaning hits me..and it was so sad..i wish im just only dreaming..or wishing that my death was near..i cant live without her anymore..i scared knowing that she's leaving me soon..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaa it really hurts so much when you love someone and they fail to show respect, loyalty or even fail to Trust you😥😥😥

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes a sound like thunder, it makes me feel like rain
    And like a fool who will never see the truth
    I keep thinking something's gonna change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful symbolism....the sound like thunder can be both the electrixiy of he initial chemistry as well as the enourmous force of he pain that hits like thunder....and of course rain always rwmind me of tears, aa well as cleansing of some type :-(
      Yup, I always kept thinking something is going to change too ....

      Delete